In the framework of the Team Up! – Media for Adult Education project, funded by the Erasmus+ program of the European Union, the partners decided to develop a charter. This Media and Information Literacy (MIL) Network Charter outlines the purpose, scope, and guidelines for a collaborative network aimed at promoting Media and Information Literacy, information literacy, and critical thinking skills. This network seeks to develop MIL experts’ skills, as well as to empower MIL enthusiasts to navigate the complex media landscape, critically analyze information, and become responsible consumers and creators of media.
- Foster Collaboration: Facilitate collaboration among network partners and MIL enthusiasts to collectively address the challenges and opportunities in the field of media and information literacy.
- Knowledge Sharing: Promote the exchange of best practices, research findings, resources, and innovative approaches to enhance MIL education and advocacy.
- Capacity Building: Support the professional development and capacity building of network members through training, workshops, conferences, and mentoring programs.
- Awareness and Advocacy: Raise awareness about the importance of media and information literacy, advocate for its integration into educational curricula, especially targeting adults, and promote policies that support MIL initiatives.
- Collaboration with Stakeholders: Collaborate with media organizations, educational institutions, NGOs, policymakers, and other relevant stakeholders to advance MIL goals on a broader scale.
- Eligibility: Membership in the network is open to all individuals, organizations, institutions, organizations promoting and pursuing democratic values and combating discrimination and hate speech online, and initiatives actively engaged in promoting media and information literacy.
- MIL Enthusiasts: Individuals who are passionate about MIL but may not be affiliated to an organization or institution are encouraged to join as independent members.
- Active Participation: Members are expected to actively participate in network activities, contribute to discussions, share knowledge and experiences, and support the network’s objectives.
4. Network Communication
ERIM is the coordinator responsible for facilitating communication and coordination among network members:
- Each partner communicates about the project and/or MIL with at least one post per month on their own social media. The project graphic charter will be used for these posts.
- Promote and utilize existing content and work from other initiatives to leverage resources effectively, also by relaunching them through social media like Instagram, LinkedIn and Facebook, etc.
- Promote and utilize the hashtag #Mediaforinclusion to enhance the visibility and reach of the network’s activities.
- A mailing list to send updates and announcements, including at least one annual webinar and additional events as deemed relevant.
- Share network activities and events on the network’s website.
- Encourage all partners to share regular updates on their individual initiatives and projects to foster collaboration within the network.
- Further disseminate Team Up! outputs by the means of other related projects’ activities and multiplier events.
5. Governance and Decision-making
- Consensus building: Decisions within the network will be made through a collaborative process, aiming to reach a consensus among members.
- Transparent decision-making: The network leadership will ensure transparency in decision-making processes, providing opportunities for members to voice their opinions and concerns.
- In case of conflict, ERIM, who is leading the network, will have the final word.
6. Amendments and Review
- Charter Updates: The network charter will be reviewed periodically to ensure its relevance and alignment with evolving MIL goals and challenges, also in relation to each partner’s plans and strategic priorities.
- Change Proposal: Proposed changes to the charter can be submitted by network members and will be evaluated by the project Partners for approval and implementation.
By signing this charter, all network partners and MIL enthusiasts will uphold its principles and actively engage in network activities. This network will keep aiming to create a vibrant and collaborative environment that supports the advancement of media literacy, facilitates knowledge exchange, and contributes to the inclusion and empowerment of individuals and communities.
The network is open to new members! You can contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to join. And if you want to be updated on the latest Media and Information Literacy news, you can fill this form!